Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA )
Our Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA ) offers a free and confidential specialist service providing practical help and emotional support to anyone 18 years and over who has been raped or sexually assaulted at any time in their lives, whether or not they have chosen to report to the police.
If this has happened to you, you might be struggling to cope. Maybe it feels like no-one understands what you have experienced & how you feel. Maybe you don't want to talk to someone about it, but you know that you need to. We understand how difficult it is to talk about the abuse that you have suffered.
The ISVA can help you to work out what you need to help you move forward from the sexual assault and she will try and help you get the things you need to do that. The ISVA service is about helping you to make informed choices, not about telling you what to do.
The ISVA can :
- Give you emotional support
- Help you develop ways of coping and
- Help you to put together a support network (a group of people or organisations that can give you help and support)
- Helping you to understand what choices you have about reporting your incident to the Police
- Help you get other specialist support, e.g. counselling, mental health, sexual health, substance and alcohol misuse
- Help you communicate with the Police
- Give you information and support around the Criminal Justice System (CJS)
- Support you through the court process (be there with you ate court etc.)